WinPcap 4.1 beta4 is an open source application for network analysis and packet capture for Windows computers, particularly those running Win32 platforms. This tool allows applications not only to capture but also to transmit network packets. This is done through bypassing the network protocol stack. This program consists of a device driver that has the ability to extend the user’s operating system to provide network access. In addition, it also has a library that lets users access low-level layers of a network.
WinPcap’s other features include support for remote packet capture, kernel-level packet filtering, and an engine that can display network statistics. As a filtering engine and packet capture application, it is ideal for use with commercial and open source network tools for analysis, security, troubleshooting, and monitoring purposes. These tools include traffic generators, network and protocol analyzers, network testers and intrusion detection systems, traffic loggers, security tools, user-level routers, and network monitors.
With this program, users can do the following:
• Transmit raw packets to a network
• Capture raw packets, including those that are exchanged by other hosts, such as those on shared media
• Collect statistical data on network traffic
• Make the packets go through filtering in accordance with the rules specified by the user
• Dispatch packets to the intended application