Total War: Shogun 2 is a strategy game that was first released in 2011. The title is part of the Total War series of games. It is set in Japan in the 16th century just after the Ōnin War. The player controls one of the clans who must dominate other clans and rise to be the ruler of Japan. The player alternates controlling the leader of the clan and the general.
The objectives in the game include developing the settlements, producing military units, and researching for technical advancement. In addition, players must also keep track of the clan’s economic growth. Players can choose from nine Japanese clans to control. Some of the clans included in the game are:
• Chosokabe Clan – generates income from farming and uses bow infantry
• Shimazu Clan – known for having generals who are loyal
• Hattori Clan – makes use of expert ninjas
• Takeda Clan – recruits superior cavalry
• Uesegi Clan – specializes in Buddhism and recruits warrior monks
Total War: Shogun 2 can also be played in multiplayer mode (competitive or cooperative play). Players take over different clans in a campaign. Players who win battles in multiplayer mode will be rewarded with upgrades and special abilities.