Spore, formerly called SimEverything, is a life simulation game that was first released in 2008. The game allows players to grow species from a microscopic organism until it evolves to a complex creature. The game is separated into five stages. Each of the stages represents a different life stage of the creature. There are also goals to achieve in each life stage in order to advance to the next one. The five stages are:
• Cell Stage – This is the first stage of the game where players will see the origins of the species. Players can choose if the character will be a carnivore or an herbivore. The characteristics of the species can be changed by distributing DNA points that are acquired by doing certain tasks.
• Creature Stage – Species grow arms and legs in the creature stage. Players must keep track of the health and hunger of the species to be successful.
• Tribal Stage – The species develop their brains and then enter the Tribal Stage. The physical changes stop at this stage and the player can focus on giving tasks for the species to develop them further.
• Civilization Stage – In this stage, the player takes control of a city. The main goal is to conquer the whole planet, which can be done in different ways (military, religion, and economics).
• Space Stage – The space stage transports the species through a galaxy where players can take control of planets.
In the Space Stage, players must enter a black hole at the center of the galaxy where Grox, the final enemy, can be found.