Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 is a soccer video game developed by Konami. It was initially released on October 17, 2008 in Europe and November 12, 2008 in North America. The game is the eighth installment in the Pro Evolution Soccer series and is the official EUFA Champions League licensed game. It maintains the same structure as the previous installments with changes in gameplay and graphics.
Two game modes have been added to PES 2009 – Become a Legend and Legends. In Become a Legend gameplay mode, the player takes the role of an aspiring football legend starting his career as a striker or midfielder within a game. The goal of this game mode is to become a professional football player by completing a series of objectives. The Legends mode is the online alternative of the Become a Legend. I this mode, the player can use his character from the Become a Legend in online games. Aside from these two additional modes, the Master League mode available in other installments had some changes. It now offers more menus and provides revamped two-tier negotiations. The negotiations can be made on individual or team-based terms. The loyalty system has also been changed, wherein unhappy players no long player a match while happy players perform better.
Other changes made in PES 2009 include the following:
• Ball movement now features air resistance calculations to improve ball trajectory
• Ball movement now utilizes friction routines affecting ground conditions
• Weather and environment conditions (wet/frozen conditions) now affect ball movement
• Situations affect team tactics
• AI improvements to recognize player’s strategies and more