Need for Speed: Undercover is the 12th game in the Need for Speed series of games. The game was released in 2008. The racing game has an open world map, making it one of the largest environments in the Need for Speed series. It consists of a large highway and more than a hundred miles of road. The map is divided into 4 boroughs: Gold Cost Mountains, Palm Harbor, Port Crescent, and Sunset Hills. There are four game modes available: Career, Quick Race, Multiplayer, and Challenge.
In single player mode, there are five types of races. These are:
• Checkpoint races – complete the race within the time frame
• Sprint races – compete against others to be the first to reach the finish line
• Circuit races – complete laps in a closed-track
• Highway battles – battle against rivals and cops while evading traffic along the highway
• Outrun – players must keep a certain distance from the opponent for a period of time
In the game, players must complete challenges and defeat an international crime syndicate while evading cops. Players take the role of an officer who goes undercover. With the improved AI system, the cops are even more aggressive and intelligent, making them focused on catching criminals. Players increase their reputation as they complete missions successfully and win races against enemies and cops.