Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is a racing video game that was initially released in 2002. The game is the sixth title in the Need for Speed series of games. The game focuses mainly on outrunning police cars and winning game races. Like some Need for Speed games, users also have the option to play as a police officer and catch speeding cars. There are four types of environments in the game, which are based on real locations (Hawaii, Washington, Mediterranean, and Alpine). There are five different race modes in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. These are:
• Circuit – in this race, players compete against each other and must complete a number of laps. The first one who finishes is declared the winner.
• Point to Point – the first racer to compete a route from one point to another is declared the winner.
• Knockout – Knockout is a series of races. The last racer from each leg is eliminated until only one racer is left.
• Time Trial – The player has to complete the course before a set time.
• Tournament – This mode is similar to a Knockout Race. However, the last player to reach the finish line is not eliminated. Instead, points are awarded to racers and the racer with the most points after a series of races is declared the winner.