ANNO 1701, also called 1701 A.D., is a real-time strategy video game that was first released in 2006. The game is set in the 18th century is part of the ANNO series of games. The aim of the game is to create and maintain a settlement in order to come up with a balanced economy. At the beginning of the game, the player controls a country. The player must colonize other countries in the game world while beating enemies. ANNO 1701 is divided into five stages – Merchant, Aristocrat, Settler, Citizen, and Pioneer. As the game progresses, players gain access to troops that can help in colonizing other countries.
Players must also have resources in order to build a settlement. These resources include perfume, lamp oil, tobacco, and many more. To gain more of these resources, players can trade with other colonies. Here are some of the foreign lands that players can trade with:
• Ramirez and Pirates – offers to trade all colonial goods
• Liang Wu and the Chinese – trades Jade and purchases food
• Tetonka and the Iroquois – trades fur and purchases weapons and tobacco
• Poxacoatl and the Aztecs – trades talismans and purchases horses and clothing
• Amin Sahir and the Indians – trades Indian ivory